Skip to main content

The geography of our stuff

No idea where this idea came from, but I probably stole it from Jo.  Thought I'd share a Year 7 lesson from today. Last lesson we looked at being able to classify farming and its distribution around the UK.  Next it's time to get the idea of where food comes from.  I had the pleasure of a History PGCE student visiting the group today too.
1. Ask the class to look at their stuff and find out where it was manufactured. The rule is don't get naked.  I modeled this with some of the objects below, that happened to be in it. Prize for those who identify the items that I didn't actually use in the lesson. ...
// Suit - Made in China
// Tie - (I Actually took this off an put back on to show off my Windsor knot skills) Made in Italy
// Shoes - (took these off too) Made in India
// Vaseline - not marked but used to model that's OK
// Sharpie pen - Made in the USA (I use 'America' too, but it's the USA damnit)
// Green Pen - Made in Germany
// iPhone - Made in China
// Water bottle - made in the E.U.
// Windbreak - Made in Malaysia
// Pants - Made in Portugal
2. Give the class three minutes to explore their stuff.
3. Take the register with each student sharing an object and where it came from. Ask the rest of the class to listen hard as Geographical questions would follow.
4. Launch into questions, using the good old think, pair, share idea:
// What type of country are products mainly manufactured in?  The answers to this were stunning, the class managing to come up with 'mainly Asian' and make comments on the level of industrialisation.
// Why do companies like Apple make their iPhones in China? Linking to profit, lower wages, GDP per capita etc
// Why do companies bother to emphasise the 'made in California?' Great discussion around a comment along the lines of 'we don't make anything' apart from ideas, I answered.  And how much do ideas earn?
5. Go to a computer room for a bit, challenge the class to think of a food they eat and find out the information about it.  The aim was to get the ingredients and where they came from:
// Why is it difficult to find this information for some brands and not for others?
// 'The McDonald's bun has a thousand ingredients, sir!'
// One biscuit had ingredients sourced from twelve different countries.
The class had to make some notes ready for the register next lesson where I wanted the brand, ingredients and the geographical questions that came along.  Up raised Palm Oil and a whole range of ideas.  Ideas were recorded on their phones (Evernote, OneNote, Notepad) or paper / planner.
So, next time, what do the students bring with them into the lesson?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words