Skip to main content

Glaciation isn't rubbish to teach: the power of high quality teaching



This is probably a geography thing.  And it's got nothing to do with myself spending loads of time on Alpine glaciers (the photo above is during crevasse rescue training, I think I'm actually down the crack).  Or that I hail from Wales, a land of glaciated valleys.  Too many geography teachers tell me that glaciation is rubbish to teach.  That it's difficult to get children to relate to it or that the mechanisms are too abstract.
Putting aside my personal view that these landscapes are beautiful and awe inspiring, this view, especially from Geographers, is bonkers.  It's not like asking ICT teachers with no background in coding to suddenly teach Python.
This is why it's bonkers:
1. The KS3 National Curriculum for Geography sets no prescribed content.  It just mentions key glacial processes.  It's up to departments to decide what these are.
2. The huge glacier on top on Greenland or Antarctica melting and flooding the whole world could be considered a key glacial process.  Yes, probably being flippant here.
3. Glaciers melting, resulting in global sea level rises and cutting off water supply to regions in the world is a pretty important geographical issues affecting the world and young people's understanding of the process behind that is therefore important.
4, The sinking of the Titanic captures children's imaginations and was caused by an iceberg, that calved from a glacier.  Calving is a key geographical process.
5. I'm assuming that teachers who find the key processes around glaciation difficult to teach also have trouble getting young people to relate to other geographical issues of which they have no direct experience of. Such as ecosystems, being a refugee or living in a desperately poor country.
Thing is, it makes me sad because it suggests that Geography teachers are either unable or unwilling to change.  Unable to think creatively around the national curriculum corset (it's easy to wriggle out of) or unable to make a fundamental issue exciting and relevant.  Unwilling is even more difficult to understand.  Are we saying that it's not our responsibility to ensure that young people have at least some grasp of the glacial processes that are making significant changes to our world?  What will happen to skiing once the Alpine glaciers and snow have gone?
Thing is, I, along with those I work with, have an unshakable faith in the power of high quality teaching.  I know that great teachers are able to polish any turd delivered by the Secretary of State and make it hugely engaging, relevant and  fantastic.  Trust me, I've been teaching about Ox Bow bloody lakes; urban models and waterfalls for years and even added housing tenure recently.  
And don't even get me started on those that are against Maths in geography......
Anyway, would be good to have some people argue with me about this.  Am I totally wrong here? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words