Skip to main content

Carrying around my geographical rucksack

I'm a shooting star leaping through the skies
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
I'm a racing car passing by like Lady Godiva
I'm gonna go go go
There's no stopping me
Interesting thinking and reflecting about what is essential to every school day, especially when struggling up the inclines of the South Downs this afternoon!  I remember the exact moment when the penny dropped at what a huge, cool thing being a teacher was.  I was in Klute (voted worst nightclub in Durham) coming toward the end of my diagnostic  teaching practice. Loads of wannabe teachers were there.  Then Freddie exploded into my mind.
To me, my teaching approach is a product of the geographical rucksack I carry around with me.  It's not always physical, but is made up of the experiences, thoughts and perspectives that make me.  I am the boy from the Valleys who was told he'd never be anyone by his teacher. I'm the boy who just wants to make a difference. Even have a T-Shirt:
What is it that I deem essential for the everyday?  I've had a pretty pants time over the past 18 months professionally, I'm coming out of this now, here we go:`

1. Running

Running keeps me sane.  It allows me the time and space to reflect, think and, most essentially, not act.  By the time I'm finished, I have a way forward that is infinitely better than my usual gut reaction.  I get to see where I live changing through the seasons and I feel healthier.  People ask how I got to run over 1,200 miles in 2014 and how I'll fit in a 50 mile ultra marathon in 2015.  It's simple, I prioritise with running over work.

2. Coffee

I love rituals and coffee is one of them.  I have a fridge in the office, emergency chocolate on tap and even some tea bags and milk.  Having a brew gives time to put things into perspective.  Sometimes, inaction is the best thing you can do.

3. My Phone

Blah blah blah right.  But, wake up to the fact that my phone has revolutionise the way I work.  Don't like using them with kids? Your choice. But, the workflow and reminders that I have set up (accessible via web and tablets also) makes me better at my job.  Reminders to visit members of staff, calendar, cloud documents that can be shared and analyses stuff, Evernote to capture images of important docs and working procedures I set up so I can remember how the bloody hell I did it last time.

4. Selfies

Sure, take the mick, but selfies mean memories, perspectives and resources. Maps, books, stories to tell around the campfire in my classroom.  As John Muir said, the mountains are calling and I must go.  The stuff that makes me me, my classroom persona (I am actually painfully shy) and the reason why I love teaching - understanding the world. ">

5. Twitter and Amazon

Access to teaching ideas, resources, connections, and books.  Reading all sorts of stuff helps out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words