Skip to main content

I've stopped working at home (kind of).

A few years ago, fresh from delirium after a week in Berlin as a Microsoft Innovative Educator, I played around with the concept of 'Dr Pepper thinking.' (other soft drinks are available, and to be honest coffee and real ale).  Recently, I've looked on at the well being thing and wondered how sharing loads of work contributes to well being.  Why write about well being when one can actually go about doing it?
Anyway, I should get to the point.  Last night I went for a night bimble, fell over in the dark and got some cool(ish because they weren't that bad, or deep or bloody) and saw some deer, loads of rabbits, wriggled around a few cows (that made the ground shake), took my headphones out for a while to listen to an owl and conversed with some pigs. 

I'm sure that there is stuff that I 'should' have been doing, but the truth is that my workspace is my head and taking time out to run and explore (with family or on my own) allows me to be better at my job.  
I admire and get involved in the evening and weekend events that abound in Teaching, but wonder why we don't allow teachers to blog from work.  In fact, where is it written down that we can't?  In the old days I thought life would end if I didn't take part in an online #chat or interact with twitter, but, to be honest, it goes on all good.
Of course, I do work from home, mainly of writing projects that help me at work and also provide some income for buying various running toys (and a 5 year old needs loads of cool stuff too.....honest). Now and again I'll write some analogue stuff and jot down thoughts, not because I feel the pressure of having to work from home, but because it would be silly not to record ideas as they come. It sounds silly, but not working from home is like being a role model in my mind.

How can it be done?

1. I stay in work for longer and get in a touch earlier. It's amazing how many emails you can get through between 7-7:30am. The delete key works wonders. When I'm not at work,m I don't check emails, or even open them.
2. I carry a notebook for analogue thoughts and my phone for digital ones. Evernote really does rock.
3. I am a geographer and a teacher, it doesn't stop at 2:50pm or 5pm - my mind is always a hive of activity and I find inspiration in what's around me. Alan Parkinson is a wise man and once told me about the thinking walks that great thinkers, like Darwin, used to do. I can relate to this idea, but instead of walking I run and play and laugh.
Of course, this will probably be seen as foolhardy, naive and I'll be shot for dereliction of duty.  
So, what's the worst that would happen in we stopped working from home? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words