Skip to main content

2009 Review


As 2009 draws to a close, it's time to reflect on quite an eventful year. I turned 31 in March, became a Dad in July and got engaged in December. Personally and professionally, 2009 has been an exciting year.

Professional Highlights

I've never considered myself to be a great innovator, although the events of 2009 seem to go against this! Below are a number of highlights, in no particular order.

The Geography Department continues to develop and by the end of 2009 the light was clearly visible at the end of the deep, dark woods. I would like to publicly thank my team and Humanities faculty. GCSE numbers increased from 40 to just over 100 and the curriculum continued to develop. Priorities for 2010 include further improvement in standards and a greater range of extra curricular activities.

Whole school developments include the successful implementation of the Vivo rewards system which has attracted some press interest. Thsi year I have been asked to support Middle Leaders in developing engaging and innovative Schemes of Work.

This year a 21st Century Learning Alliance Fellowship was awarded to support the work of the department. This is linked to the BSF process. An update will be given at BETT this year. we have made some significant progress in meeting the project aims. One aspect ofthe project that I am particularly pleased about is the level of collaboration. Noel Jenkins, Richard Vobes and the Geography Collective will be involved in 2010.

2009 saw the publication of my second text book: Citizenship Through Geography. The book is aimed at Geography teachers and contains a number of simple ways in which citizenship can be incorporated into Geography Schemes of Work. I spoke at SAGT about some of these ideas and will be running a session at the GA Conference in Derby in 2010.

Talking about the GA, this year I talked about how Textbooks can be used more effectively and took part in the Secondary Phase Committee's Doorstep Geography session.

The work of the Geography Collective continues at some pace. This year, our first publication - the Journey Journal was published. 2010 will see the launch of MISSION:EXPLORE, an empty shops project with Worthing's Revolutionary Arts Group and one or two other exciting projects, including something linked to the Birdman event!

2009 also saw film crews visit my classroom. The BBC came along to see how the BBC Box was used to support learning in Geography and Teachers TV visited to see how Twitter and Facebook were being used to support learning. These events led to two other exciting opportunities: a visit to BBC Television Centre in London was one.

The second development was a Microsoft Innovative Teaching Award. In March, the project will be going along to the European Forum in Berlin. I'm very much looking forward to the adventure!

Finally, these are the 5 posts that have attracted most visits:
1. Reflections on Subject Leadership
2. How I find the time
3. Textbooks: Everyone's Guilty Pleasure
4. Educating my PLN about modern day piracy
5. Guerrilla Geography


Challenges for 2010

Sometimes I can't help but feel that I'm walking alone. In 2010, I need to spend more time and energy into encouraging others to join the journey. It's time to connect and expand islands of innovation. I fell that this can be done by staying in my current post and working with greater collaboration. Having said this, it is gradually dawning that in order to influence a more people, I need to consider looking for another post.

There are a number of exciting Geography Collective projects that will blossom in 2010 and a number of other personal projects that need to be delivered on!

2009 was devoid of my usual outdoor madness. I intend to make up for this in 2010 by cycling the Sarn Helen MTB route unsupported and taking part in the Original Mountain Marathon. There are other challenges, but if I write them here I'll be committed!

Finally, I've been promising for years to get my online bits organised in the way that I would like them to be!

I hope that 2010 is good for you, I look forward to connecting with you!

Comments

  1. Great post Dave - you have had a great year!

    Count me in for the Sarn Helen MTB route - You will need an extra pair of hands to carry the single malt.

    OB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ollie!

    You're more than welcome along on the Sarn Helen trip - we are thinking May half term at the moment.....

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David,
    Greetings from Australia. Your 2009 sounds jam-packed, innovative and exciting, with great benefits from collaboration with your Collective & PLN.
    Lots of creative ideas and authentic learning opportunities for your students.
    Well done!
    Vonnie (@southoz)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vonnie,

    Great to hear from you. The fact that you are in Australia demonstrates the power of PLN's like Twitter.

    Many thanks for your kind words

    David

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

High Impact, Low effort

This month is the start of the #29daysofwriting challenge.  I enjoyed this last year and will be using my Staffrm account to post.  I'll also be reporting here, both to give a little more detail and to keep a log of what I have written. The challenge developed a great sense of community last year, which is why I'm choosing to write on Staffrm. What I would say to those who are new to writing or don't want to run out of ideas is: Write for yourself. Clarify an idea, write something out loud. The process of distilling thoughts into writing is immensely beneficial to your practice. If other read, comment and respond, that's a bonus. Ignore the muppets who know nothing of your context, style or students. Mix it up - I like to read about real stuff from real classrooms and schools and also about other stuff.  If we always write about school, how does that work for workload? If you've nothing nice to say, don't say it. So, the following has been 

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).