Skip to main content

Looking forward to #SLTCamp

IMG_3239
As a Guerrilla Geographer and general ‘troublemaker at large’ in my last post, I enjoy (un)conferences.  Especially those run on a weekend and promoted through social media. They tend to be full of like minded enthusiasts. It is true that there is often an element of preaching to the converted at such events, but the same can be said of many professional learning conferences and workshops.  When was the last time you genuinely came away from something with new views?  Having said that, there’s nothing wrong at all with gathering together a bunch of professionals that share the same page, especially as there’s no real plan and the sessions will be created by the people there.  The energy and enthusiasm of similar events (such as TLAB13) keeps my enthusiasm and love of teaching alive. The difficulty comes when it’s time to return to the ranch.
I’ve been involved in organising TeachMeet Pompey for a while now and have been lucky (although I’ve never really figured out how or why I get asked) to be invited to speak at a range of conferences and events.  The frustrating thing often is, that no matter how many nuggets picked up in the talks or brain melting thoughts shared, the real learning (for me anyway) comes over the dinner table or inside the bar afterward.  That’s not to say that in order to receive quality learning you need to eat and drink lots, although it helps….  That’s why I’m looking forward to #SLTCamp: for the opportunity to follow up conversations with a little less time constraint.  I’m looking forward to meeting others and sharing ideas, especially the times when things haven’t gone to plan or when something has failed.  Although that may sound bonkers, it’s through talking about challenges and low points that some of the most powerful learning takes place.
As it’s September the 1st at the time of writing, I’ll be starting my first senior leadership role tomorrow.  That’s a little scary and I’m looking forward to learning a great deal, the timing of #SLTCamp works well and I’m hoping to share some of the reflections of my first two months of the adventure.
The theme of the powwow is ‘Igniting Change.’  This to me links to the heart of what leadership is: leaders light the touch paper and stand back.  It’s about getting other people to do the right thing as no leader can change things on their own.  Of course, within education, it’s automatically assumed that change is always needed so it will be interested to consider how we know that change is needed and how we figure out what the change needs to focus upon.  I’ve always been a great believer is simple but effective strategies that provide high leverage when compared to the input, so I hope that there will be a wealth of ideas around this theme.
As the person looking after NQTs, I always used to advise them to get off site to a conference aimed at NQTs.  The reason was to surround themselves with people in the same stage of learning as them.  It’s the realisation that you’re not the only one paddling that boat and that others are facing similar triumphs, frustrations and obstacles.  I’m hoping that #SLTCamp will do this for me around senior leadership.
On my part, I’m hoping to get participants out and about, perhaps with a Saturday morning run and/or some geocaching (I’m toying with the idea of attendees setting up an #SLTCamp themed Geocache).  I also hope to share how young people can be involved in providing feedback to leaders as well as getting involved in school change, even when it’s something controversial.  I’m also looking forward to sharing some approaches to CPD within school.  I have some experience of this and truly believe that high quality professional learning is engine to drive school improvement.
To put it simply, I’m looking forward to it!  Already the pre-challenges are getting the thoughts in order.  The biggest challenge so far is to think of something to bake……….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words