Skip to main content

‘Never off duty’: productivity and prioritisation in teaching.

IMG_2197

My son’s current cartoon hero is Fireman Sam.  Sam is a workaholic for sure and is well known for always being at the emergency.  In his words, ‘A good fireman is never off duty.’  Teaching can often feel like that.  The steps up from Phase One up to Phase Two and Three during a PGCE course; from PGCEer to an NQT and from NQT to NQT+1 are daunting.

A question that I often get asked is how it’s possible to cram it all in.  The question comes from trainee teachers, NQTs and experienced teachers alike.  Now, I consider myself to be very disorganised and quite forgetful.  Most of the time I rely upon what’s in my head.  Not a great system many would say!

This post is an attempt to summarise my approach of organisation and prioritisation in my professional life.  I should add a caveat which is I operate under the assumption that people will shout at me if I forget something important.  I also take the approach that a teaching team exists to help each other out, so there’s no room for shirking and delegation (or the dynamic management of colleagues’ CPD as I like to think of it.)  It’s also a secondary geography teacher’s point of view.

In the words of Hugh Grant’s character in About a Boy: ‘No (teacher) is an island.’

Consider the below some kind of ‘inbox’ exercise favoured by some schools during recruitment.  It’s not an ideal system at all. So, in some sort of an order..

1. Marking If you don’t know where your students are, how can you plan effective lessons that move them on or address their misconceptions?  In my view, you can’t set learning objectives without knowing where young people are.  A main scale teacher may teach up to 500 individuals each week.  As an SLT member it’s around 200 for me.  There is no way around this and many studies suggest that the most effective way of improving students’ progress is effective marking with clear, individual and subject specific targets.  You have to mark. End of.

To manage marking, it’s all about systems.  Our Schemes of Work stagger assessment points, and each week we all mark the same year group.  I monitor the marking, and my team have a look at my own.  This not only shares good practice, but ensures that the team aren’t wasting time.  Also, we use some stamps, and get the children to do some of the marking.  But that’s another story.
I mark in school.  I never take books home.  Mainly because I’ll lose them.
2. Planning I have to be ready to teach the classes I have.  There’s no way around that. 

The key here is not to plan a mental all singing lesson every single time.  I’d simply die.  Instead, Schemes of Work suggest a variety of activities – remember to use a wide range of teaching approaches, including (un)planning ones.

Plan clever. Use and tweak existing materials.  Learn how to search the web efficiently and have a set of criteria for evaluating sources of information.  Keep a file.  I have a ring binder, a filing cabinet, dropbox folder structure and use an exercise book to keep track of what I have done.  Do it right once and the next year is a case of tweaking rather than whole scale re-planning.

I ignore lesson observations.  I just carry on as usual.
I tend to do most individual planning at home. Mainly because I enjoy it and it doesn’t take too long these days.
3. Parents If a parent gets in touch, I respond as soon as possible.  They are the ‘customers’ after all.  I find that a pro-active approach limits the number of queries.  Communicate through student planners (I know, it’s the 21st Century right?); texts; emails; phone calls and standard letters.

If you engage home, many issues can be resolved.  Be pro-active in secondary schools and parents quickly become assets in the classroom, especially when chasing that homework project.

This includes reporting and data entry.
 
4. My Team People make the department vibrant and successful and a nice place to work.  I operate an open door department and you’re more likely to find me popping in and out of lessons to support or catching up with a member of my year team or support staff than in my office when I’m not teaching.

This would include setting cover and checking in on supply teachers and cover supervisors in the department. 

My aim is to have an actual conversation with those I line manage every day.

This includes email communications from my team – they are all set up with their own alerts and filters.
 
5. External requests and communications Stuff like examination entries, external speakers, trip risk assessments, trip consent forms etc….  This is usually high stakes stuff or impacts on the reputation of the school or department.  By this I mean getting back to them and meeting deadlines, getting people in is always open to negotiation.  
6. SLT / internal emails I hate email.  No, scrap that, I hate how most people use email.  If it’s life or death must answer now, it won’t be via email.  A request from SLT will need reflection.  If they haven;t given me the time, I’ll say so and ignore it.  Similarly, requests from other members of staff aren’t urgent.

Mainly, if it’s not clear in the title what the email is about, it’s binned. 
 
7. Meetings Bad meetings really are the bane of my life.  Meetings should have an agreed focus and agendas should be set well ahead of time.  We use Google Docs to create a living agenda that is contributed to by the whole team.  If a meeting doesn’t have an agenda, I won’t turn up.  In addition, meetings are for making decisions, not for thinking (that’s something else) and it should be clear what decisions will be made and any material relating to those should be circulated with the agenda to allow reflection. To be honest, if it’s a rubbish meeting with no focus I tend to get on with something else so that there’s no ‘dead time’  

I try to maintain a decent balance between work and personal life.  This is difficult to achieve as I love my work and it, erm, doesn’t feel like work.

  • I run now 4-5 times per week and this allows me to reflect. 
  • I read novels during my 50 minute commute. Mainly thrillers.  This is relaxing.
  • I try to read (or dip in to) at least one educational book / journal once a week.  This is a source of new ideas.

I’m sure that there are loads more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words