Skip to main content

Mobile devices: pupil WiFi access project

3514892055_161e44ab0d_o

Mobile devices have been around for a while.  I remember using one of these back in the early 1990s so that my parents could pick me up from Air Cadets. I remember that even back then the buzz around mobile devices was phenomenal.  Ever since I started teaching, the educational world has been awash with claims that the latest mobile technology is going to revolutionise learning.  To me, no single device has lived up to this.

I think it’s about behaviour and not devices.  Of course, we need stuff that’s portable, light, easy to use, affordable, compatible…… But none of that is going to revolutionise learning.   Our approach, or behaviour, to using devices could.

‘Two roads diverged in a wood – I took the road less travelled, And that made all the difference’ Robert Frost

We’ve already taken the first step, and thanks to a very supportive Leadership team and staff, we have a policy in place.  The policy aims to inform behaviour toward and when using mobile devices. 

The next step is to allow pupils to connect to the WiFi network.  This makes sense. It’s morally wrong to depend on parents paying for 3G data plans for students to learn in schools.  School WiFi can also be filtered.  The bottom line is that if we are going to use mobile devices, and in particular pupils own devices, then we’ve got to provide the connectivity. By the way, I have no clue about the tecnicals behind WiFi connectivity!

‘But there are men for whom the unattainable has a special attraction. Usually they are not experts: the ambitions and fantasies are strong enough o brush aside the doubts which more cautious men might have.’ Bear Grylls on climbing Everst, but I think that this is applicable to any seemingly insurmountable challenge. (I would, however, add ‘and women.’)

After some great discussions with the IT team, we are very excited to be in a position to start trialling student WiFi access.   Below is an extract (modified)from my original proposal. The main focus in on developing pedagogy, and in taking small steps.

Bring Your Own device (BYOD) access to school WiFi – Pilot proposal.

Aims:

· To build upon the success of the Mobile @ Priory policy

· To embed the use of pupils’ personal mobile devices within the geography and wider curriculum.

· To model best practice and safe behaviour when using mobile devices

· To identify the technical specification and support required to allow pupil access to the school WiFi network.

· To further develop the lesson protocols and best practice needed when encouraging the use of pupils’ own mobile devices.

· To increase the range of tools that our learners have available as they prepare for external examinations, ultimately raising achievement.

Phase 1 – Now until December

Pupils who attend Geography workshops will be given access to the pupil WiFi and shown how a wide range of Geography related Apps and mobile websites can help them prepare for the January SDME examination. This will not only encourage more of our pupils to attend after school workshops with the incentive of access to WiFi but allow us to test the hardware and develop protocols for using devices in class.

If successful:

Phase 2 – Jan 2012 – Half term Feb 2012

Access will be extended to Year 11 students studying Geography. Digital Leaders (pupil leaders of technology) will observe these lessons and pupil feedback sought. This will enable us to test the feasibility of having whole classes access a single WiFi point. Activities will be built in to lessons, helping students to prepare for the January SDME. For example, simple, free, apps and the BBC Bitesize mobile site provide a wealth of resources.

 

Image Credit with thanks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words