Skip to main content

Augmented Reality and Geography Fieldwork : Wikitude App

I enjoyed an Alpine start today thanks to my little boy. I found myself looking at this list of top 100 Apps thanks to Rich Allaway. One of the Apps featured was Wikitude. After exploring the Nearest Wiki App and it's possible uses in Geography fieldwork, I thought I'd have a play.

There is great potential for Geography Fieldwork by using this App.

The WIKITUDE World Browser presents the user with data about their surroundings, nearby landmarks, and other points of interest by overlaying information on the real-time camera view of a smart-phone. I used the iPhone version.


The first thing I did was to explore the view outside of my flat window. I found that there were more points of interest, mainly centered around commercial establishments. This was far more information than was provided by the Nearest Wiki App. The information accessed about the Toby Carvery was a review summary. This information could be useful when pre-visiting a fieldwork location, or looking for services in a particular settlement when looking at landuse.
The next job was to create some content. The sign up process is very easy: you can just use your Twitter account to log in. As the spire of St Mary's Church is clearly viable from the window, I set about creating a Point of Interest. (I'm also set to get married there in 2011!) Wikitude restricts the user to 250 characters. This would be great for getting pupils to develop their literacy skills by writing concisely, for example by avoiding Banned Words.
After creating my Point of Interest, I used the iPhone app to access the work. I was delighted to find that St Mary's Church now appeared in the augmented reality browser:

As Wikitude allows users to add URL's, I decided to link to a page of information. This was also available to view within the iPhone browser. There are plenty of gaps out there at the moment, Portsmouth for example, is relatively free of Points of Interest. This would make a great homework activity: young people could add their own Points of Interest

Finally, I had a go at linking to one of my 365 project posts:

This again was very easy to achieve. the image above was navigated to from within the Wikitude App.

I'll be having a bimble later, so will be seeing what else this App could do in the field.

Comments

  1. I haven't seen this app. Thanks for sharing. I'm sure that AR will be the next "Big thing". Do you know of any GPS enabled netbooks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been meaning to explore how a way how technology could be used for History - really good examples about how it can be used for learning too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 'Nearest Wiki App' will only work on a 3GS where as Wikitude works on all iPhones - which is a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - I don;t know of any GPS enables netbooks, but a GPS facility would be very useful! The website that supports Wikitude uses your IP address to locate the computer. No good outdoors though!

    Chunks - many thanks

    Richard - great news!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are a lot of standalone cameras hitting the shelves with GPS capabilities. The purpose of this is for geotagging. Geotagging is of course the ability to be able to save the location where the photo was taken so if you post it online it'll have the location data next to it.

    If you're interested in augmented reality on the iPhone, try out the application Layar. It's the same as Wikitude but provides different layers of information like layers in Photoshop, each of which can be turned on and off.

    I must agree with John in saying that AR is the next big thing. When cars have GPS built in mixing GPS with RFID would be awesome. If that were to happen, if you drive within a mile of your house the bath could automatically run etc.

    It's all very futuristic and is opening a whole load of possibility for everyone, humans and geography teachers alike ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for the very useful comment. Do you have any examples of GPS enabled cameras?

    I'm very much looking forward to the AR developments.

    Plus I like th way you classify teachers as separate from humans! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best GPS-enabled cameras is the Nikon Coolpix P6000 with a sensor resolution of 13.5 megapixels.

    It's also got a 4x optical zoom and 2.7 inch non-touchscreen LCD display.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/nikon-coolpix-p6000/4505-6501_7-33196876.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words