Skip to main content

And time goes by so slowly....

And I'm not thinking about that dodgy Robson and Gerome version either!

At SAGT and over the past few years I have been asked one question above any other: where do you find the time? When I consider where I was 10 years ago and then think about what I've managed to do - time does go slowly. Time has taken on a totally different meaning since becoming a new dad.

This post is an attempt to share with readers where I find the time. First a story:

Here I am at the end of what would be considered a 'minor epic' in Scottish mountaineering circles. It was very dark. The air temperature was around -10 degrees. The ground was sheet ice caused by lots of rain saturating the ground and then a sudden drop in temperature. It was just a tad scary.

The place was Ben Nevis. The photo below was taken very close to the summit. I have been up 'The Ben' many times using a variety of routes. 9 times out of 10 there has been no view. We stopped and took in what we saw. We took photos as the sun started to go down around 3pm. It's not good being 1300m up a mountain when it's getting dark and the car is not at the bottom of the tourist track but quite a way away. However, conditions like this are rare so we took the opportunity.

When it got dark we stopped. And ate. We pondered. We considered the options.

What has all of this got to do with time and education? Well,

1. This was a learning experience. This story demonstrates that learning never stops. Therefore we shouldn't discount experiences that happen to our young people outside of the classroom. So I use my experiences outside of the classroom and the experiences of pupils in lessons - this saves a lot of false thinking time: time sat at a desk planning.

2. I used this experience in a geography lesson that linked tourism, weather, seasons and high places. As I was negotiating a dark Scottish mountain in December, I was thinking how I could use the experience in the classroom and with young people. How do I find the time? Ideas always come along. Usually not during the school week. Should I discount these ideas because I was on holiday? We should be using our personal experiences in learning all of the time.

3. I'm reading a lot more books this year. My other half call them 'cult' books. They are about leadership. Doug Belshaw's blog led me to Seth Godin's Tribes. Toward the end of the book he is reflecting on the reason for his happiness at checking work emails during a holiday in the sun. He concludes that it is because he is engaged, satisfied and eager to get to work. There was nothing else he'd rather be doing as his work was rewarding. I love teaching. There isn't a day where I feel I don;t want to go in to work. Although I prioitise with family, friends and the outdoors, I don;t mind spending time now and again engaged with learning. Those that know me well understand that my attention span is all of 2 minutes. New technologies allow me to access other people thinking where and when I want. My mind never stops going. Where do I find the time - my ideas are going around in my head all of the time. I may make a note here and there, but when the idea has formed all I need to do is sit down and pull something together. Work thoughts aren't confined to work. The time we stopped and ate allowed us to see the bigger picture. We all need the time to reflect at some point. Even time to receive criticism. Otherwise, how do we know we're any good?

4. Twitter, SLN, Facebook, blogs etc etc etc. May seem like sad, geeky things to be in to. But I don't have a clue (or any interest) in how these things work. All I know is that they are an effective way of accessing ideas, resources, thoughts, opinions...... I don't consider myself to be a particularly innovative person or to someone who says particularly original things, but what I can do well (I think...) is spot great ideas and adapt / use them. Rather than social technology taking up more time, it actually saves me time. How do I find the time? I collaborate, share, quote, acknowledge and use the work of others. No one can change learning on their own. Above all, I find the time because I'm in the right job - I love what I do and I am inspired by the people I am connected to. So, go out and connect. You'll free up a huge amount of time.

5. I love cheesy sayings, someone once said to me that I needed to think smart. I now commute by train as it frees up 90 minutes of time to plan - I can travel and prepare. I prioritise with what I need to to by a) considering what is most important to my family and b) considering what is most important to my learners. I used my flight to and from SAGT to read a whole book, and the time on my own in Edinburgh to wander the streets to explore. I combine walking my son around to allow him some sleep with lesson planning and urban exploration. Technology allows me to capture my thoughts, ideas and plans - saving me time. Especially the time it takes me to find scraps of paper. One of the reasons I started this blog was so I could find the ideas and resources I thought were useful.

Anyhow, I've probably rambled on enough, time to get back to Ray Mears. I think I'll be using what I'm watching now in a class tomorrow.

PS - This post was brought to you by many recycled ideas ;-)

Comments

  1. I'm sorry, I don't have the time to read all this post....

    Seriously though, a very useful post: I was asked the same thing at SAGT yesterday too...
    I'll perhaps produce a reaction to this later. Enjoy Ray Mears: it's the X-Factor in this house :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just copy and paste it into a wordle Alan ;-)

    Found X-Factor on in a pub the other week. Brought a whole new meaning to the term 'Multi-tasking' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just copy and paste it into a wordle Alan ;-)

    Found X-Factor on in a pub the other week. Brought a whole new meaning to the term 'Multi-tasking' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting reading David and Geoblogs response on Living Geography too. Thought provoking and part of the reason I enjoy reading the blogs written by the two of you and Ollie Bray. Hope you appreciate those supportive other halves too !

    meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Meg,

    Definitely couldn't do it without my other half, and son, helping me on the way!

    I'm pleased you find something of use by reading the blog - gives me something to encourage me to continue!

    Best wishes

    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers David, I often feel guilty when on the tops or down some hole that my mind keeps returning to geography. As I age I realise that this is my datum and not my job; finding ways of relating your resourcing to your intuition is the key. Thanks for your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No Worries! I think that we need to spend time outside of work - otherwise the people we teach will not benefit from our wider activities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words