Skip to main content

Looking back at five and a half years @PrioryGeography

P4240071

It’s been quiet on here for a while as I’ve been taking a break to enjoy time with family and to mark the transition between Priory Geography and Patcham.  For those unaware, I start as an Assistant Headteacher in a couple of weeks (eek!).  This post mainly serves as a personal marker and a public thank you, but may be of interest to others.  At the end, I try to offer some learning / leadership type reflections ahead of the new adventure.

Thank you and reflection

In January 2008 I started as Curriculum Leader for Geography at Priory School.  Priory Geography was born and the rest is, as they say, history.  I’ve been reflecting on five and a half years of a challenging and difficult journey, one that had few easy, calm stretches.  Needless to say, I loved it.  Having said that, my time juggling the demands of subject leadership and having one foot in SLT told me that it was time for a new adventure.  More importantly, it was time to say goodbye.   

‘The primary role of leadership is to ensure successive generations of leaders.’

I won’t go over here the adventures, this blog details the mission.  Needless to say it started with 21 out of 250 students choosing GCSE Geography; an Ofsted Subject inspection (after 4 weeks in post) agreeing with my judgment that the department was ‘inadequate’; GCSE results almost 30% below the school average and a pants curriculum.  Well, it didn’t exist.  Priory Geography is in a different place now, but there’s still work to do and Jo Debens will go on to improve the department further.  In June 2008, I interviewed a group of candidates.  I will never forget that Jo said yes, even after I told her that there would be at least three years of brutal hard work ahead building the department. I always had faith that she would help me mould the department, and she did.  A truly awesome individual and a counterpoint to my untidy, sometimes uncaring and lack-of-grey thinking.  I may have set the course and manned the tiller, but Jo raised the sails.  You’ll be running a school one day. Thank you.

I remember with fondness Mo too.  Sadly, she passed away three years ago, and I would have loved for her to have been at the end of my Priory Journey.

I owe a great debt of gratitude to Lisa who stepped into the breach and must have had a truly awful NQT year.  You saved us without a doubt and I am so pleased that you went on to get the job of your dreams.

Sam Atkins is one of the most single minded, determined and talented teachers I have ever had the pleasure to work with.  Together with myself and Jo, he has allowed the department to have a relatively smooth ride for the past two years meaning that I have been able to enjoy the hard work put in. I have every confidence that Sam will end up leading a school one day and I’m looking forward to following his whole school leadership project with interest over the next year or so.

A huge thank you also to Jonathan Parrott.  I truly hope that I get to work with him again one day.

Thank you also to Alec Weaver, who may have department under less than brilliant circumstances, but you helped improve those results and were always willing to muck in and go way beyond your job description.

The final lines of my leaving speech (delivered via video as I was off on a course…):

I am a teacher of children whose only job is to subvert the curriculum, school plans, budgets to make sure that learning is as good as it can be. Blaming Ofsted, BSF, Voodoo, Gove is just an excuse for bad teaching and poor decision making. They aren't in my classroom and they certainly aren't the most important people in any school.

Create Trouble. 

Advice to those staying: JFDI

Looking back on an eventful five and a bit years, I can’t help thinking that I haven’t done too bad for a reluctant extrovert , habitual underachiever, unorganised, messy muppet who is rubbish at deadlines and lesson plans at the last minute.

I would also highlight to those who leave a school that you’ll never know the impact you’ve made.  Sure, you can track achievement and attainment; compare to baseline KEELE survey results; get mentioned in an Ofsted report, but the impact on staff and students does go deeper.  If you’re leaving a place, take time to say goodbye. Thank you to Jo for putting this together.  You don’t have to watch it, it’s mainly here so that I can find it again!

What have I learned?

I look back on the last five years and think it’s been CV Gold dust.  But that would be callous. I look back and have difficulty keeping track of what we got up to.  That’s a very good thing. I am both excited and more than a little scared at taking the next  step.

Here are some reflections and lessons learned about various stuff:

  • Leadership is about valuing and investing in the adults in school.  They are the people who make the change happen. I think it’s dangerous to start with the young people, or what the young people want (and I say this as an advocate of authentic pupil voice.)
  • Never forget to have fun.
  • Don’t take yourself too seriously.
  • Nothing is impossible.  Talk to the right people.
  • Figure out the situation before making changes.  It may surprise some, but I don’t know all of the answers and there certainly isn’t THE answer.  Indeed, many books and articles often reference each other. Teaching is all about using a diverse toolkit and if you subscribe to one set of values / beliefs / way of teaching then you will always end up excluding someone.
  • Staff and students are mixed ability learners.
  • No one goes to school to do a rubbish job.
  • Take risks. Make most of these calculated.
  • Keep and open mind – young people can surprise you in all sorts of ways.

Time to start the next adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words