Skip to main content

May we live in interesting times



My brothers and sisters

I miss the conversations between us
There's nothing wrong with being a dreamer
So where are you now? Where are you now?

Twin Atlantic Brothers and Sisters

“Whatever happens, they say afterwards, it must have been fate. People are always a little confused about this, as they are in the case of miracles. When someone is saved from certain death by a strange concatenation of circumstances, they say that's a miracle. But of course if someone is killed by a freak chain of events -- the oil spilled just there, the safety fence broken just there -- that must also be a miracle. Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous.” 

The purpose of this post is to force me to reflect and commit. If any other readers take a peek and benefit then that is a delightful bonus. In writing it I live up to the aim of this blog, which turns 10 in December, which was to allow me to reflect and think. 

Interesting times have been experienced recently. I've failed again to get  deputy headship, someone in the family died, I ran a mountain marathon but have been slacking on the milage front, failing to complete the 100 mile ultra marathon that I'd set myself as a goal due to injury, so I've been feeling a bit of an underachiever.  Getting through the NPQH gateway and heading to the induction was more than a let down, and I left uninspired. Of course, it isn't the first time that I have questioned what on earth I'm doing and, perhaps, being a little honest here may be naive and foolish. I say none of these things to tug on your heart strings, I am blessed and have a life of relative ease. Since taking on safeguarding how lucky I am has been hammered home.

But. I have been doing a lot of working out recently. Leadership is about values and personality and relationships. Three other events have made me sit up. The brilliant human utopia came along to launch the new school year. Dr Karen Edge came along to close the NPQH induction and yet another education secretary has taken office. The result is perhaps this, and nothing is an original thought of mine. 

It's time to shout 'plot twist' and move on. Because, and here's the thing, I love this job.

“It was impossible for him to get bored. He just didn't have the imagination.” 


Leadership is about values and poor relationships cause schools to fail. Indeed, teachers shouldn't underestimate the influence that we have on young people. We impart more than knowledge. We encourage qualities and qualifications. I become dismayed at the bickering on Twitter and I've found myself ignoring more than engaging these days. But I realise that that is just silly. Who is going to be on the side of justice and who is going to sing the praises of the profession apart from ourselves?  As leaders we not only need to make our job look possible, but we need to promote the profession to others. Otherwise, why would anyone want to join it let alone stay in it?

When asked 'how are you?' do we answers tired, busy or are we more positive?

How are we developing future leaders and who are we shoulder tapping and encouraging to lead? Are they like us in their views and backgrounds or are we seeking truly great leaders? I realised that I perhaps went too quickly to start and that brilliant leadership takes time to develop: have you ever seen a truly great leader run around the corridors?

Leadership is about values and relationships with students and staff so I'm going to take some of what Dr Karen said and act upon it. The infuriating thing is that it's nothing new. So, I will attempt to:


Be a human leader and put relationships first. 

Be a talent spotter and diversify. I need to encourage others in to leadership and set challenging targets.
Network with people that can challenge you and make things happen. I need to just get on.
Get some balance and share  that I have found it. 

Anyway, it's time that I remembered that I'm doing the job that I love and care passionately about.  It's a great profession full of challenges, opportunities and laughs. Every now and again it's tough. But then it should be. We don't make money for other people and we are more than exam factories. Young people will remember us for years to come. Will it be for the right reason? Even worse, what if they remember little of you at all?

Leadership is about values and relationships. Leaders in schools should have two questions in mind:
  • How does this make learning better?
  • How do I support staff to make learning better?
It's time to stop waiting for permission. It's time to stop seeking endorsement.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words