Skip to main content

Twitter isn't the best form of CPD 1: the traits of school leaders


Before I start, I looked up the word 'provoke' today:

Much is written about the power of social media, but I have to say that it must be taken with a pinch of salt.  How do I guarantee the efficacy of information gained online?  How do I know that the advice is authentic and that the volunteer is speaking from experience? After all, as far as you know I could be using social media to reinvent myself. Perhaps I'm trying to represent myself as someone who may know something about something?  

This is the first in a few stories that will try to explore the power of teachers talking to teachers, quite often within your own institution.  So, on Monday I went off with the other SLT members of the authority and listened to some wise people.  It's always great listening to people who have actually done something.  It's even better to be able to question them.  Even better still was the ability to speak to peers and colleagues who understand the context and challenges of the local area intimately.  This is bespoke CPD tailored to fit.  

I like leadership, and have enjoyed some modest success.  There are many lists that give the characteristics of school leaders, but the one given by United Learning CEO Jon Coles really appealed to me.  Here it is, with my own embellishments.
  • Unwarranted optimism
In this political roller coaster of change we have to be the constant.  Although I disagree with Jon that leaders can be totally dismissing of Oftsed, it is our job to be brave and to do the right thing that is needed in our own contexts.  We need to plan and hold firm. I aspire to be this type to leader and I hope that I won't buckle.  After all, I don't go to work to please Ofsted, I go to work to make a difference to the lives of young people.  We can make that difference and we can do it our way.  We have to be like those advertising companies that get their adverts pulled by the regulator. We need to test and probe and, ultimately know we can win even when there is absolutely no evidence or hope that we win.  
  • Endless intelectual curiosity
If we aren't nudging and picking away at what already exists, asking the really tough questions of ourselves, our system and of our staff and students.  Jon used the phrase 'steal with pride' and I guess that's what good leaders do. We measure ourselves agains the best we can find; find out what they are doing and then do it ourselves.  We learn from kindred spirits and will never be happy.  We are learners.
  • Taking crisis as the norm
Schools are amazing.  They are organic and dynamic and joyful and, although there are set cultural norms, no one really knows what's coming next.  This is brilliant and one of the reasons I am a teacher and will remain a teacher. Leaders must carry on as if it's all part of the plan, even when the heart is going a billion beats per minute. Last minute assemblies, high staff illness, a high staff turnover, new directives from government.
  • A complete absence of paranoia
Leaders are above the parapet. Not just our heads but, like the photo above, full body out and in the firing line.  We are exposed and  vulnerable. That's our job. Our job is for people to come at us and blame us.  The glory belongs to others. To the classroom teacher who has started in January and is battling to instil routines. To borrow Jon's words, they are all out to get us but acting like us is going to do nobody any favours. We're leaders and we signed up to this.

So, what characteristics would you give to school leaders?  This CPD wasn't from Twitter, or a blog. It was a spark of inspiration given by an expert, pulled apart with peers and crunched around with those that really matter: those that I work with, day in, day out.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).

Banned Word Board

Today I want to share some simple ideas that I have found to be very effective in the classroom. I can't say that they are my own original ideas, although I have played around with them. The first is the Banned word Board. This is a simple display in the classroom that lists a number of words that are not allowed to be used by pupils in their written or oral answers. The effect has been an increase in the quality of written work, and I have almost made comments such as 'Sir it's simple, the stuff just affects the thing and causes people problems'. Pupils are now more able to use specific language, something that is vital especially at GCSE. I have had to make a few modifications, such as the introduction of 'Heavenly Words' This is an additional display placed on the ceiling. I found this necessary as pupils needed some stimulus in finding replacement words. After advice received after posting the idea on the SLN forum , I have also introduced semi-banned words