Skip to main content

#SLTCamp reflections and implications

2013-11-15 22.55.06-2

This time last week I was travelling to Brighton to take part in a 10km race after a weekend in the woods.  SLTCamp took place in a YHA hostel, nestled in the Surrey Hills.  No wifi, no signal, no outdoor lighting and a bunch of strangers.  In this age of twitter and hashtags, it may sound like a nightmare, but in fact it was refreshing not to be connected.  I’ve been lucky to have taken part in high number of excellent conferences and #SLTCamp is right up there.  A massive thank you to Stephen, Sarah, the sponsors and all those that turned up to take part.  For the session notes, visit the SLT Camp site here.

There are a number of aspects of SLTCamp that could be scaled to fit into the school environment at the appropriate time.

1. Personalised and no agenda

From the moment of arrival, , Stephen and Sarah made it clear that it was our agenda. The rules were simple: no egos and no shrinking violets.  In practice this meant that participants were able to opt in and out of discussions and sessions.  There were splinter groups when needed and no one got worried when people drifted off to get a coffee and cake or hovered in the background before joining a group.  There were no formal sessions and this worked.  Ideas were shared; fundamentals debated and positions stated.  I also headed off for a run, grabbed a few geocaches and had a wander amongst the countryside to take advantage of the weather.

In the (un)conference style, round table chats were held on a variety of issues.

A similar approach could be adopted in schools. Essentially, all an (un)conference does is put the agenda into the control of the participants.  I can see this working in schools, treating teachers as professionals able to identify what they need to move on.  I spent most of last year getting away from the top-down CPD delivery style, weaving the year’s CPD together around a few common themes.  The simple approach of the camp made me think that schools have too wide a focus.  How often is spent focusing on what really matters and how much the add ons? How much time, energy and funding is spent developing classroom practice?

2. Immersion

I’m not a fan of networking, I find it difficult.  Having said that, normally I learn the most not from the formal sessions of an event, but during the informal parts.  #SLTCamp was mostly all informal parts.  The conversations were in full flow from kick off on Friday.  The conversations held on Saturday continued in the evening.  In this sense, the only events that come close to this in the past have been FastTrack teaching courses, Microsoft Partners in Learning events and Mountain Leader training.

The format meant that it was possible to make contacts local to me as well as talk to new school leaders as well as those more seasoned than myself.

There was no WiFi or signal in either venue.  This was a good thing.

At Priory Geography, we were often immersed in training or a situation, especially on residential fieldwork.  I wonder how in-school training could be developed to immerse participants in the programme? This probably couldn’t be an approach that happens often, but I wonder what would happen if INSET days were blocked together and a school took over a youth hostel is an amazing location?

3. Not being talked at but taking part in a conversation

There wasn’t much being talked at.  This was a very good thing.  No one was an expert and everyone had open minds.    I came away with a wide range of ideas that link to what I’m aiming to do over the next few years. Some may have to wait to geminate while others have been brought into play already.

4. Salsa

There was Salsa dancing on the Saturday night. Well, it was Mexican night after all.  Almost the full range of human emotion was experienced in that short hour from horror, stress to triumph and elation.  What I liked was that almost all got involved.  As the attendees are in the business of leading learning, it was refreshing to see us engaged in learning something that lay beyond comfort zones.  When was the last time where you learned something new and scary?

5. Attention to detail

What really made the weekend was Stephen and Sarah’s attention to detail.  The bake-off; beanie hats; sparkler writing; salsa dancing; quality food….  The list goes on.  I had to leave before the end to run in a 10km race, but I’m sure that this attention to detail continued.  There were even chocolates on the pillow.  When you’ve given up a precious weekend, details matter.  And, some of the stuff came in a box labelled ‘Awesome Merchandise!’

IMG_0271

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Impact, Low effort

This month is the start of the #29daysofwriting challenge.  I enjoyed this last year and will be using my Staffrm account to post.  I'll also be reporting here, both to give a little more detail and to keep a log of what I have written. The challenge developed a great sense of community last year, which is why I'm choosing to write on Staffrm. What I would say to those who are new to writing or don't want to run out of ideas is: Write for yourself. Clarify an idea, write something out loud. The process of distilling thoughts into writing is immensely beneficial to your practice. If other read, comment and respond, that's a bonus. Ignore the muppets who know nothing of your context, style or students. Mix it up - I like to read about real stuff from real classrooms and schools and also about other stuff.  If we always write about school, how does that work for workload? If you've nothing nice to say, don't say it. So, the following has been 

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).