Skip to main content

CDG Inset at Cams Hill - An exciting time to be a Geographer!

A big hello to those of you who are reading this after this mornings Inset. I hope that you find what's here useful, and please follow some of the links to the right. These are the people where I have got the inspiration from. The copies of the PowerPoint used today and Handout can be found by following the links in yesterdays post below - just scroll down the page and look for 'KS3 Support Meeting'. Also, please feel free to add a comment - I appreciate any feedback whether it's positive or negative. I hope that my message of positive action was clear. Thank you to those who gave me some feedback at the end of the meeting - I really appreciate the positive comments and look forward to working with the new contacts created!

Two issues were considered today: the 14-19 agenda and the future of Key Stage 3.

I feel uneasy over the 14-19 curriculum plans. The wording 'all pupils will choose one of the pathways / diplomas' concerned me. The immediate questions to me are what aspects of these new diplomas can geographer's contribute? and what will happen to Geography within the 14-19 curriculum as there is very little mention of it! I am going to keep a close eye on this issue as I think it's vital that geographers can demonstrate how our subject knowledge and skills can contribute. It seems that the Fareham area at least is gearing up for these changes, and this could explain some of the movement towards compression of KS3, although this is discussed below.

The second issue examined Key Stage 3. Two aspects were briefly considered: the compression of Key Stage 3 and the new version of the National Curriculum due in September 2008. Personally, I feel that our energies should not be misdirecting into arguing against these changes, but channeled into creating a Secondary Geography Curriculum that meets the needs of 21st Century learners: challenging, fun, relevant and current. I believe that departments can localise their curriculum's and play on the strengths of the department. I also believe that we should focus on the local issues, for example, if there is no river in the locality, do KS3 students really need to know about meanders and ox-bow lakes? Do pupils on the South coast really need to explore glaciated landscapes when the nearest example are over 4 hours drive away? Hopefully this will reverse the trend where pupils know more about a favela in Brazil than issues within their own urban setting such as immigration, industrial decline and housing expansion.

Geography is a dynamic subject and part of the appeal is they way in which the subject explains the world around us. Therefore I also believe that Geography should tackle current issues, both local and global. The recent Napoli disaster, for example, can be used to examine people's effects on fragile environments, the effects of storms and other issues. Yes there are the classic case studies, but are children really interested?

Under a compressed Key Stage 3 I believe that depth is more important that breadth. We should be taking our time to allow pupils to fully explore concepts, issues and topics. There is no need to cover all of Geography, especially those aspects that many of us feel are very dry and dull! I know I have my favorites (climate, environment, coasts, tourism..) and topics I'd rather leave behind (industry, farming, transport, urban land use models and outdated grand theories). However, I believe that we should 'start from scratch' with our new curriculum's instead of deciding simply on what to keep and what to bin.

Finally, the issue of what to do with KS4 after a compressed KS3 must be considered. I'm not a fan of offering AS Geography in Year 11. Instead I think we can really personalise learning by offering a wider range of courses and specifications. Would it be possible for a single departments to teach more than one GCSE Geography specification? I think so. In addition, there is room for Environmental Studies, Geology, Archeology, Outdoor Education and many more. Of course, here I think the key will be playing on the strengths of a department.

In summary it's an exciting time to be a Geographer. The new National Curriculum will clear all content allowing us to use our professional skills to design exciting, relevant, radical curriculum's that will ensure that KS3 pupils will fall in love with Geography (if it's for them).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High Impact, Low effort

This month is the start of the #29daysofwriting challenge.  I enjoyed this last year and will be using my Staffrm account to post.  I'll also be reporting here, both to give a little more detail and to keep a log of what I have written. The challenge developed a great sense of community last year, which is why I'm choosing to write on Staffrm. What I would say to those who are new to writing or don't want to run out of ideas is: Write for yourself. Clarify an idea, write something out loud. The process of distilling thoughts into writing is immensely beneficial to your practice. If other read, comment and respond, that's a bonus. Ignore the muppets who know nothing of your context, style or students. Mix it up - I like to read about real stuff from real classrooms and schools and also about other stuff.  If we always write about school, how does that work for workload? If you've nothing nice to say, don't say it. So, the following has been 

What makes a learning experience profound? Personal reflections and possible implications for classroom practice.

I have recently begun a Leadership Pathways journey.  As part of the first core day, we were asked to reflect on a profound learning experience. This got me thinking about how many profound learning experiences I have both been involved in, and how many I have been able to give to others.  Our group came up with a huge long list, but these are my five. Emotional Connected Demanding Reflective Collaborative As always, these are personal thoughts and quite mixed up.  I put them here so that I can look back on them (plus they’d get lost inside my world-cup-free brain) 1. Emotional I can’t think of a time where deep learning hasn’t engaged my emotions.  From being awe inspired to that tingle feeling when a student gets a light bulb moment.  From this-is-the-happiest-day-ever, to I-think-I’m-about-to die.  How often do we engage the emotions of those we teach?  Here, I would argue that having a safe learning environment is not always conducive to profound

The danger of Teaching and Twitter conversations: poorly formed bipolar arguments.

Sometimes in life, there really are only two options.  Get the wrong one and you can look like a muppet.  Take this useful sign for the toilets in Morocco.  I successfully navigated it, choosing the right option.  The result? No egg on my face.  As a mountain leader, there are many right or wrong decisions that I’ve faced, as there are all over life.  It’s not a good idea to let inexperienced young people walk themselves down Snowdon.  They may die or be seriously injured.  If someone is showing the signs and symptoms of hyperthermia, you need to treat it fast in a specified way.  There is no real arguing with this sign: Other options are less obvious.  Take this sign recently spotted near to where I live: Now, I wouldn’t consider sleeping in a bin.  However, faced with a sub-zero night, I could see the appeal.  The danger? Being tipped into one of those huge lorries with a compactor. (by the way, I only really considered all of this thanks to questions from my four year old boy).